There are many myths and misconceptions when it comes to battery care especially when it comes to Lithium batteries the type of battery that you find in your phone and in our heated products.
We have some tips to help keep your batteries working and lasting longer.
- You don’t need to charge your battery to the max when you first use it. Lithium batteries work best when they are charged between 40% – 80%.
- Draining the batteries till completely flat before charging and never charging the battery when it’s at 50% or 60% is a myth. Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. In fact, lithium does better when they are charged in short periods.
- Don’t leave your battery unused for an extended period of time of 5-6 months. If batteries are left unused they will die, so we recommend giving the battery a cycle once during the period the batteries are not used frequently.
- Before longterm storage ensure the batteries are charged between 80% and 100%. This will help with longevity in your battery and prevent the degradation of the battery.
- Don’t put your batteries in the freezer to extend battery life. Lithium batteries react badly to both extremes of cold and heat. The best environment for Lithium batteries is room temperature.
- Remove the battery from the product and store separately.
Lithium-ion batteries are a huge improvement over previous types of batteries and getting 500 charges/discharge from a lithium-ion battery is not unheard of. Just follow the above guidelines.